03 April 2010

My top 5 (and maybe 10) books of all time...

Even as I type this, I'm not sure I can limit it to only five. Because, this weekend, I'm reading a book so spectacular that I've had to re-visit a list that hasn't changed in some time... (Review and more info to follow next week. In the interim, any guesses? It's about mammals, of all things.)

So, something unusual is now about to happen: a long-time book reviewer / commitment-phobe is about to put down, in writing, committedly, her top five (ish) books of all time. [Whew. Deep breath.] Here goes, in random order:

1. Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)
2. The Girls (Lori Lansens)
3. Shantaram (Gregory David Roberts)
4. The Time Traveller's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
5. Where the Heart is (Marita van der Vyver)

So much for only five...

6. The Other Boleyn Girl (Philippa Gregory)
7. The Hour I First Believed (Wally Lamb)
8. Shutter Island (Dennis Lehane)
9. The House of the Spirits (Isabel Allende)
10. This weekend's book - review to follow

Disclaimer: For those of you who have seen some of the (frankly, awful) movie versions of the books above, please do me the kindness of not unfairly judging their literary counterparts. Thank you.

www.tiffanymarkman.co.za

No comments: